Popcorn is one of the best easy snacks (in my opinion). Quick to make, even if you do it from scratch, and so delicious with endless topping possibilities!
Wanted to share a few fun ways to spice up your popcorn game for the next time you have a movie night (or just need a good snack)!
All of these recipes are also really fun to have on hand in the kitchen. Can be added to many dishes other than popcorn. Herbal salts can be used in place of regular salt. Greens and mushroom powders are super nutritious to sprinkle on top of a soup, salad, protein, etc. Have fun with it 🙂
1) Herbal Salt
– salt: I like to use Himalayan salt since that is what I most likely have in my kitchen and is more course. Feel free to also use sea salt or whatever you have on hand.
– herbs: can be done with fresh and dried herbs. Dried herbs will last longer, but fresh herbs can add a stronger flavor. Any culinary herb can be used (thyme, oregano, chives, dill, parsley, etc.). Also, try spicing it up, by using mints, edible flowers, and dried chilis.
– Add about 1 to 1 part salt and herbs to blender and pulse on low till incorporated. Make sure to not overdo it, turning the salt into powder.
– If using fresh herbs put salt onto a plate (or baking tray) and lay it out in the sun to dry (can also be put in the dehydrator/oven on low till dried out).
– Optional: add a few flowers in at the end to have some whole as well.
2) Nutritional Wild Super Greens
– wild edible greens: great ones including dandelion, violet, stinging nettle, lambs quarter, and wild onions.
– you can also add any other herbs like parsley, cilantro, basil, etc.
– nutritional yeast
– Put all your greens in the dehydrator till completely dried
– Using a mortar & pestle or a grinder of sorts turn the dried leaves into a powder.
– This powder can be added to other mixes. I like combining it with nutritional yeast and dehydrated onion flakes.
3) Mushroom Madness
– powdered mushrooms: shiitake, lions mane, reishi, etc.
– salt & pepper
– garlic and/or onion flakes
– Mix everything together!
4) (bonus) Show Stopper
– 1 part butter (can use vegan butter)
– 1 part nutritional yeast
– 1 part maple syrup
– sprinkle salt & pepper
– Melt butter, and add in the rest of the ingredients. Stir together till well combined and just before it bubbles. Pour on top!!
* Note: this recipe is really good with “Mushroom Madness” sprinkling on as well 🙂